Easter Rice Krispie Nests 🐣
Rice Krispie Nests are such an easy, no-bake, fun Easter dessert that you can make with the kids.
INGREDIENTS & TOOLS
Rice Krispy Treat Nests:
- Butter - Helps give thin out and melt the marshmallows and adds a buttery flavor to rice crispy treats.
- Marshmallows - This sweet sticky treat helps bind the ingredients together and gives them a shape that’s easy to bite into.
- Rice Krispies - This puffed rice cereal is crunchy and light making it pair perfectly well with marshmallows.
- Homemade Icing - You’ll need powdered icing sugar and water to make an icing that goes inside the nests. This will help keep the candies from falling out and help you create a beautiful presentation.
- Green Food Colouring - This gives the icing a green colouring that simulates the colour of grass.
- Mini Egg Candies - These small robin's egg-shaped chocolate candies are placed inside the nests. Feel free to use your favourite candy or jelly beans.
- Sprinkles - Sprinkles add a colourful touch to the top of these nests that’s perfect for Spring.
- Muffin Tin - A basic muffin pan made for 12 muffins is used in this recipe. The muffin tin is greased and the rice crispy treats are added to create a nest shape.
Lightly grease the cups of a muffin pan with oil or non-stick cooking oil spray.
Add the butter to a large pan and melt over a medium/low heat.
Add the marshmallow and stir until it’s all melted.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies.
Spoon into the muffin pan and form into a nest shape by making an indentation in the middle. I use a lightly buttered teaspoon to do it.
Allow to cool completely before removing.
Make a thick icing by mixing the powdered sugar with 2 teaspoons of water (add more water or icing sugar as necessary to make a thick paste) and add a few drops of green food colouring if desired.
Spoon a little icing into the rice krispie nests and place in a few mini eggs. Top with sprinkles and serve!
Make sure the muffin tin is greased fully.
The well in the nest must be formed when the rice crispy treats are still warm. You can do this with your fingers or by using a lightly oiled or buttered spoon.
The treats must cool completely before removing from the muffin tin. You can cool them faster by placing them in the fridge.
Make sure the marshmallow is fully mixed in with the butter before adding the rice krispies to create an even texture throughout the treats.